Picture the scene: it’s December 25th and you’re far from feeling the pinch of winter with its cold winds and threats of icy showers. Rather than crunching through white snow in thick boots, you’re walking barefoot through powder-soft white sand. You’re no longer wrapping up warm beneath multiple layers of clothing, but bathing in a swimsuit beneath the golden rays of glorious sunshine. It’s not 35 degrees and cloudy, but 72 degrees with clear skies and balmy air. It’s Christmas and you’re in the Florida Keys.
Image compliments of Florida Keys News Bureau
If you’re now dreaming of a white sand Christmas with your loved ones, you can make it a reality with a vacation of a lifetime at Parrot Key Resort in Key West, the southernmost tip of the Florida Keys. The island is a popular destination during the holidays, so book your place in paradise early to avoid missing out on a spectacular Christmas experience.
During the festive season, the island’s palm trees are sparkling with lights, conch cottages are decorated with colorful holiday displays and sail boats are magically lit up. From vibrant events to spacious, luxury accommodations, here are our just some of reasons to visit Key West during the Christmas holiday:
Villas with waterfront or tropical garden views
At Parrot Key Resort, you can sprawl out in one of our three-bedroom villas that are ideal for families and friends spending Christmas together. You can unwrap gifts, play games and relax together in the exclusivity of your own villa overlooking the sparkling water or our tropical gardens, without compromising on space.
Each room has its own bed type combination, including a master bedroom with a king bed and a guestroom with a double queen bed, along with a flat screen TV and DVD player for when you need time out to switch off and recharge.
Upcoming Festive Events
- Key West Holiday Parade, December 6: This annual hometown parade ignites the holiday spirit with marching groups, floats, and a festive procession starting at Truman Avenue and White Street.
- The Schooner Wharf Bar 24th Annual Lighted Boat Parade December 13: Magical lights twinkling in the harbor is a Christmas sight not to be missed. This year marks the 24th annual Key West Lighted Boat Parade which sees a great number of boats all decorate their sails, masts and hulls with lights to add to the festive cheer as they compete for the Best Nautical Holiday Decorations in Key West competition.
- Nutcracker Key West, December 13 - 21: Inspired by the unique and colorful environment of the Florida Keys, Clara and her young Prince encounter enchanted landscapes complete with snowy egrets on shimmering salt ponds, a wicked Rooster-King, an exquisite Sea-Star Fairy, and “underwater” sequences of almost unimaginable beauty. Shows held at the Tennessee Williams Theatre, Box Office 305-295-7676.
- Christmas on the Sheriff’s Animal Farm December 14: From 1-3 pm, visit the furry, fluffy and feathered residents of the Animal Farm and petting zoo and get a photo taken with Santa. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Animal Farm is just outside Key West at 5501 College Road. This free event is open to the public on the second and fourth Sundays of the month.
- Key West Artisan Market December 21: This vibrant, open-air bazaar is filled with artists, authors, chef-made cuisine, craftspeople, performers, fresh produce, baked goods, cheeses and flowers, craft beer and wine from residents representing the diversity of creativity, ingenuity and locally made products of the Keys. The market is held on the first Sunday of the month outdoors at the Restaurant Store, 1111 Eaton.
- 55th Annual Key West House & Garden Tours December 27 – 28: Take a self-guided tour through Key West’s festively-dressed stunning homes and gardens for the holidays. December tours are from 4-7 pm both evenings. Tickets available online.
- Christmas Light Trolley Tour: Key West certainly knows how to deck the halls and transform its buildings into a wonderland of glittery festive cheer. Local residents use plenty of bright lights, quirky scenes and vibrant colors to decorate their homes and gardens to celebrate the season, and you can see it for yourself aboard the Old Town Trolley Tours on their Holly Jolly Holiday Lights Trolley.
Dine with a festive Florida Keys style
Delicious menus and holiday specials are available at many well-established restaurants across Key West, and the key to a memorable, easy-going family Christmas dinner is to book early. Rooftop Café on Front Street, Duffy’s Steak and Lobster House on the corner of Truman Avenue, Pisces on Simonton Street, and Kelly’s on Whitehead Street are some of the island’s firm favorites for festive indulgence. Café Blue at Parrot Key Resort is open throughout the holidays for refreshing snacks and celebratory Christmas cocktails.
Kick back and relax under the winter sunshine
It’s not often you’re greeted by endless blue skies, white sand beaches, crystal-clear waters and towering palm trees during the depths of winter. Key West is a haven of natural beauty, adventure and quirky culture waiting to be explored, all topped off with southern hospitality and opportunities to relax round every corner. Just imagine waking up on Christmas Day morning to views of tropical gardens or sparkling water before taking a dip in one of our four pools, each nestled in its own lush landscaped garden. You may be used to a particular way of spending Christmas back home, which often involves plenty of preparation and a huge clean-up after dinner. At Parrot Key Resort, the focus is on relaxation, fun and simple luxury in the ultimate definition of paradise.
Call 855-327-7200 to speak with an onsite vacation planner or book reservations online now.