Tag Archives: Florida mini lobster season
Hands up if you love bugs!? In the Florida Keys, we refer to lobster with this affectionate phrase and in late July you’ll be in for a treat when Mini Lobster Season hits Key West. But you better hurry… it’s important to book in advance for this popular crustacean craze. You can download the official lobster mini-season brochure below, or stop by the Lobster Information Booth at mile marker 106 on your drive through the Keys (opening times below). Book your hotel stay or call 866-469-0347.
- Download the official brochure: http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/regs/mc_lobster.pdf
- Lobster Information Booth Open Times:
- July 26th through July 29th from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Alternatively, visit the Bahia Honda State Park Sport Lobster Season Mini
Event on July 29th from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for a brochure
- Follow the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary on Facebook for up to date information
2014 Mini Lobster Season Information
Lasting only 48 hours on July 30th and 31st, Mini Lobster Season brings together a host of lobster lovers, all clawing their way through the coastal waters surrounding Key West to catch the first fresh bugs of the season. It’s a long-awaited time of year when the ocean is teeming with the popular crustacean, because lobsters just love to live in warmer temperatures. So, if you’re after the freshest and tastiest lobster or you’ve yet to sample this Keys culinary delight, your taste buds will be tingling at the end of July.
Mini Lobster Season Information and Planning
It is very important to follow all rules and regulations for Mini Lobster Season so make sure to visit the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission website for details.
- Mini Season Regulations: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/lobster/
- License and Permit Info: http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/saltwater-fishing/
- Book a Charter Trip (subject to availability): Contact our vacation planning team at 866-469-0347
More Lobster Fun… Key West Lobsterfest: August 7-11, 2014
Visit in August for regular lobster season and enjoy Key West Lobsterfest! Events include a Thursday night lobster boil, Friday night Duval Crawl, Saturday street fair with lobster-inspired culinary creations, a free concert, and a luscious lobster brunch on Sunday. This festive feast celebrates the start of the regular Florida Keys lobster season.
Contact: 305-744-9804 or visit www.keywestlobsterfest.com
Five Top Picks for Local Lobster
If you can’t make it for Mini Lobster Season, try our top picks for lobster in Key West during your vacation:
- A&B Lobster House: Enjoy several lobster specialties available
- Blue Heaven: Get your claws on the Lobster Eggs Benedict for breakfast
- Hog Fish Bar & Grill: Go off the beaten path to Stock Island and try the Lobster BLT, Lobster Pot Pie, Fried Lobster Tacos, and Lobster Bisque, all in a dockside setting
- Turtle Kraals: Devour the Lobster Tail at this local Key West icon
- Rusty Anchor: Try the Florida Keys Spiny Lobster
Florida Keys lobsters, known as spiny lobsters, don’t have claws and their meat has a slightly chewy sweetness. The most popular way to enjoy lobster in the Keys is to order it grilled with melted butter or steamed and served with Cuban black beans and yellow rice. For the ultimate lobster indulgence, savor it while watching the beautiful Key West sunset with a refreshing cocktail in hand.
Tempted? Book your trip to Parrot Key Resort now to enjoy up to 15% savings.
Mini lobster season (July 24th and 25th) is a Key West tradition that lasts only 48 hours each July when the Florida Keys are teeming with lobster lovers, clawing their way through coastal waters to catch the first fresh lobster of the season.
Mini Lobster Season Special Offer
Parrot Key Resort is offering 20% savings during mini lobster season dates when booking in advance. The 20% offer will only last this week before rates increase. Call 866-469-0347 to book the offer or to book a fishing charter for mini lobster season.
About Florida Keys Mini Lobster Season in July
If you’ve never taken part, you’re in for a treat starting July 24, 2013 at midnight for 48 hours only. The two day spiny lobster sport season is always the last consecutive Wednesday and Thursday in July. It begins at 12:01 am on the last Wednesday in July and ends at 12:00 midnight on the last Thursday in July.
This is just a ‘taste’ of the official lobster season which starts August 6th and lasts for eight months. Visit the Florida Fish and Wildlife website for full mini season details and regulations.
Lobsterfest in August
Lobster lovers are invited to sample the savory Florida crustacean during Key West Lobsterfest, scheduled Thursday through Sunday, Aug. 8-11. The festival commemorates the start of the Florida Keys lobster season with a tasty “menu” of events highlighted by an open-air lobster feast on the island’s famed Duval Street.
Learn more about Lobsterfest which takes place during the regular lobster season in August.